The Cemeteries of St. John’s Lutheran Church
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1857, and nine years later, the congregation established its first cemetery. The burial ground known as Old Lutheran Cemetery was created in 1866, and served the congregation until a new cemetery—St. John’s— was opened in 1874. Another San Antonio congregation, Immanuel Lutheran, opened its cemetery immediately adjoining St. John’s, and when the two congregations merged in about 1903, St. John’s and Immanuel cemeteries were also combined. Though burial records are divided between these two cemeteries, they appear to the visitor as one cemetery.
The existing records of the three cemeteries are housed in St. John’s archives. The records were kept once in an office at St. John’s cemetery and were partially destroyed by fire many years ago. It is thought that the extant records were reconstructed from a variety of sources including old church record books. Work is ongoing to update cemetery records by cross-checking against other sources.
While the records are a valuable research tool, many burials, both marked and unmarked, are missing. Families with proof of a burial not included in the records are asked to share this information and proofs with the church archives in order that we might make our database more complete.